Safeguarding at St Michael's
We take the care of children and vulnerable adults very seriously and work hard to ensure that we operate in line with current best practice, as recommended by the Diocese of London and the Church of England.
We believe the care and protection of children, young people and vulnerable adults who are involved in church activities is the responsibility of the whole Church. Everyone who participates in the life of the Church has a role to play in promoting a safer Church for all.
The PCC of St Michael's Fulwell adopts the Safeguarding Policy Statement of the Church of England that was agreed and published by the House of Bishops in their Policy Statements 'Promoting a Safer Church' (2017) and 'Protecting All God's Children' (2010) as summarised in the 'Promoting a Safer Diocese' policy document from the Diocese of London (2018).
The policy makes six overarching commitments:
- Promoting a safer environment and culture
- Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the Church
- Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation
- Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons
- Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons
- Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
Our commitment is outlined in the above policy document, signed by the vicar, safeguarding officer and church warden on behalf of the PCC.
St Michael's Safeguarding Officer: Babette Bullock
Phone: 020 8241 0761
London Diocesan Safeguarding Advisor: Annette Gordon 020 7932 1224 / Out of hours 0800 731 9256
Child Protection Team 020 8891 7969 (Mon-Fri 9-5pm) Out of hours 020 8770 5000
Adult Emergency Team: 020 8744 2442
Police: 999 / Richmond Police Child Protection Team 020 8247 6331
NSPCC: 0808 800 5000
Note: In emergency always call 999.